Dental implants are small metal posts inserted into your jawbone. They replace the roots of missing teeth. A post or implant is surgically placed into the jawbone. After healing, an artificial tooth is attached to the post.
Dental implants are permanent tooth replacements. The tooth is fused to the post, so the replacement tooth is natural-looking and functions the same as your natural teeth.
How are dental implants placed?
To place dental implants, we will prepare your mouth for surgery by numbing the surrounding area with local anesthesia and making incisions in your gum line to place the implant stud into your jawbone. After healing for three to six months, we will schedule an appointment to place the abutment on top of the implant stud and connect it with an anchoring screw (a connecting screw).
After this step, we will allow some time for the bone tissue to grow around the implant stud before placing a restoration on the top of it. This process is called osseointegration. Once it fuses, the crown is placed over it. The entire process takes several months, but the results are permanent.
Dental implants are categorized into two types: endosteal and subperiosteal implants. Our dentist will help you select the best option for you after examining your oral cavity and overall health condition.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
Dental implants have a number of advantages over other tooth replacement options, such as:
- They look and function just like your natural teeth, so no one will be able to tell that you have had dental work done.
- They are also a permanent solution to tooth loss. You will not need to remove them every night like you would with dentures. And, they can prevent bone deterioration common in people who have had missing teeth for a long time.
- They are strong and have a stable base for the replacement teeth.
- They are aesthetically pleasing.
- They restore the ability to bite and chew food like normal teeth.
- They help maintain your facial appearance.
- Dental implants offer a long-lasting solution without any hassle.
At Biltmore Commons Dental Care, we strive to provide each of our patients with a positive and relaxing experience. If you're ready to experience the best dental care, please contact us at (225) 673-0445 or visit us at 1277 E Missouri Ave Ste 217 Phoenix, AZ 85014.