For nearly 200 years, silver amalgam has been used almost exclusively to fill and seal cavities. In recent years, concerns have arisen about the use of this compound. First, silver fillings are made up of several metals, one of which is mercury. Second, amalgam fillings by their nature require a relatively large portion of the natural tooth to be removed. As a result, the tooth is weakened.
Recent innovations now allow us to replace existing silver fillings with composite or porcelain fillings. These amalgam alternatives offer several important benefits to our patients. Not only are composite and porcelain stronger and safer than traditional fillings, they’re also the color of natural teeth. Say goodbye to the metal in your mouth and hello to a healthy, beautiful new smile.
The benefits of having white composite and porcelain fillings include:
- Proper care will enable them to last your whole life.
- The enamel on your teeth easily bond with the porcelain.
- A strong surface can be created with porcelain fillings.
- You can color them and change the shade.
- CEREC Dental treatment allows you to complete the procedure in a single visit.
- One of the best metal replacements
- There isn’t much change to your mouth and not many people will notice.