Many of us have a dirty little secret: we put off seeing our dentist because we have a real fear or anxiety of what’s going to happen during our appointment. Don’t deny it! We are afraid of the possible pain and uncomfortableness that we may experience. By looking at the long term health benefits of regularly visiting your local dentist in Phoenix, however, you may be motivated to change your opinions on your dentist and become more proactive in your overall dental health.
5 Long Term Health Benefits of Visiting Your Dentist:
- Researchers now suggest that by having our teeth professionally cleaned and scraped even just once, we can help reduce our risk for heart attack and stroke. Chronic inflammation is behind this association. Regular cleaning and scaling reduces inflammation-causing bacteria and actually improves blood vessel function. Inflammation in our bodies has been linked by experts to contributing to many diseases, especially cardiovascular disease.
- Gingivitis is a gum disease that can cause all kinds of issues in our mouths. It leads, most importantly, to the loss of teeth. Gingivitis can lead to periodontal disease where calculus, better known as tartar, builds up on the gum line and under our gums until it becomes necessary to go under the gum line and remove the plaque and bacteria to prevent this loss of teeth. Gingivitis can also destroy the gum and bone that support and anchor our teeth. It contributes to the inflammation that we now know is detrimental to our overall health. Your local dentist in Phoenix is the best source of education and prevention on this issue.
- Oral cancers are a real threat to our mouths. Regular exams by your Phoenix dentist can be a life saving health benefit. Signs of oral cancers include sores that do not heal, unusual bleeding or white patches on gums. Regular tissue and gum examinations will ensure that your oral tissues are healthy and that you have no malignant tissues that may require biopsies.
- Cavities are not only painful, but can become a serious health threat when left untreated. Cavities can cause infections, which, in turn, can cause problems for the other supporting structures in our mouths. Infections in the mouth can also potentially spread to the bloodstream, leading to a condition known as septicemia. Septicemia is a serious life threatening infection that can get worse very quickly. It can arise from infections in the mouth and throughout the body. Early detection of cavities can save pain, money and prevent very serious health problems.
- Experts have said that inflammation makes us more susceptible to aging and disease. In addition, persistent, systemic inflammation appears to be at the root of all known chronic health conditions. You can help yourself live a longer healthier life by doing your part to prevent any kind of inflammation in your body. Since inflammation is a threat in the mouth, proper care and dental check ups are key to living long and healthy lives. Your local dentist, such as our team at Biltmore Commons Dental Care, is the best source for information and prevention of any kind of problematic inflammation in your mouth. Regular check ups are the way you preserve your good oral and overall health and help you live longer and better!